Cristina Maldonado works at the intersection of mixed reality, participatory and relational art, expanded and live cinema, site-specific, performance, and experimental theatre.
She teaches, mentors, directs, and nurses collaborations using devised theatre methodologies and a pos-dramatic approach. In the ’90s Cristina was a contemporary dance performer and lecturer, then expanded choreography into video-dance and performative installations in the 2000s.
For the last two decades, she has been researching the implications of mediation, manipulation of perception, embodiment, and strangership. Recently she is working on performative writing and interdisciplinary projects to research how performance can be used as a tool for activating collective knowledge.
She has performed in Mexico, U.S.A., Denmark, Belgium, Poland, Finland, Portugal, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Germany, Brazil, Canada, Armenia, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Russia, Lithuania, and Vienna. In 2020 Cristina was selected to enter the SNCA (National System of Art Creators Mexico) and to be an associate artist of In-Situ European Platform for Artistic Creations in Public Space.
Currently, she is a lecturer and mentor in the Master’s program of Directing Devised and Object Theater in the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (KALD/DAMU) and in the Bachelor program of Fine Arts in the School of Arts and Design of Prague College.
Education2020 Anthropology of Art. LATIR: Laboratory dedicated to research, project development, educational programs, and publications, with a cross-disciplinary perspective.2020 MA Fine Art, Teesside University2017-2018 Academic Program Arte contemporáneo y actual. Council for Culture and Arts (CONACULTA),
2014 - 2023 – Prague City University – Lecturer
2015 - 2016 – Día de Día de Muertos / cooperation with Loutky bez hranic, Motus o.s., Divadlo Alfred ve dvoře, Prague
2014 – Sayat Nova / co-production FONCA (Mexico), Motus o.s., Jedefrau.org, Divadlo Na cucky (DW7 o.p.s.) / Diario de teatro Divadelní noviny – nominated for the best annual production for Cristina Maldonado – direction, movement and image / Divadlo Alfred ve dvoře, Prague, Moravské divadlo Olomouc
2013 – What She Does / co-production with CND INBA (Mexico city), Jedefrau.org / Mexico Tour – Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Veracruz, Guadalajara
2013 – The Stranger Gets a Gift / co-production CND INBA (Mexico city), FONCA (Mexico), MOTUS o.s., Divadlo Alfred ve dvoře, Jedefrau.org / premiere Divadlo Alfred ve dvoře, Prague
2013 – Cuerpo Feromenal / co-production Tomáš Procházka, Iona Mona Popovici (Romania), Susanne Kass (Finland) / co-production CND INBA (Mexico city) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico, Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Mexico, Mexican museum of contemporary arts Ex Teresa
2013 – Botana Mexicana – show of Mexican scenic art in Prague / co-production CND INBA (National Institute for Dance and Visual Arts, Mexico city), theatre NOD.
2011 – Prague Quadriennale design and scenic space – study on facts and fragility / co-production with Alaine Kerriou
2010 – Theorem of Wanting – exchange programme / experimental scenic art in Mexico and Czech Republic / co-production CND INBA (National Institute for Dance and Visual Arts, Mexico city), FONCA (Mexico), Meet Factory / Mexican Museum of contemporary arts Ex Teresa and Meet Factory, Prague
2009 – Co-production with NOD theatre, creation of the performance Theorem of Wanting / Petr a Ondřej Skála, FLOEX – Tomáš Dvořák, Soda Lotker, Kateřina Fojtíková, INITI – Dan Gregor / co-production CND INBA (Mexico city), Czech embassy in Mexico, Mexican Museum of Contemporary Arts Ex Teresa, FONCA (Mexico)
2004 - 2009 - One of the organisers of Czech residences in Mexico: workshop with Halka Třešňáková, assistance Ladislav Soukup and Kristýna Lhotáková / co-production Name of the Game, festival Teatro del cuerpo
2006 – Production within Prague Quadriennale, direction – Cristina Maldonado
2003 - 2004 – Festival Four Days in Motion, direction of triptych režie trbased on the work by Francis Bacon with Czech artists: Jan Beneš, Kristýna Taubelová, Ondřej and Petr Skála, Sodja Lotker, Jan Komárek / co-production FONCA (Mexico), Four Days in Motion, Prague
2020 - 2023 - Member of the National System of Creators. Experimental Audiovisual Media. FONCA. México.
2018 – National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic creators. Interdisciplinary.
2017 – Participation as a speaker in the Latin American Colloquium for Research on Dance Practices and Research of the National Dance Coordination INBA.
2017 – Selection of Stereopresence to be part of the educational program of the Diploma Course
2016 – Honorable mention in the video dance exhibition of Agite and Sirva during the En- INBA National Dance Center for the piece Atarashi hii
2013 – National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic routes. Tour in Europe Clothing: Prague, Lisbon, Cyprus.
2013 – Official Selection in Shake and Serve, Happiness video-dance.
2012 - 2014 – National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic Creators with Careers. Contemporary dance
2012 – National Dance Coordination, INBA. Choreographic production made with the benefit derived from the forty-second article of the 2012 Expenditure Budget of the Federation. Dance in Expansion Project.
2010 – National Institute of Fine Arts - Award for Artistic Education and Research for the publication of the JuSeJu Manual, dance methodology applied to body communication between mothers and children.
2010 – Translab. Multimedia Center of the National Center of Arts, Mexico - Theorem of Wanting selected work in PERFORMA 0.2 compendium of interactive or multimedia scenic works derived from an interdisciplinary convergence and that address the Performing Arts with the use of technology (APT) in Mexico.
2008 - 2009 – National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Scenic Creators. Contemporary dance.
2003 - 2004 – National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Young Creators. Choreography, Contemporary dance.
1999 - 2000 – National Fund for Culture and Arts Grant. Contemporary dance performer.
2020 - 2024 - Associate Artists of (UN)COMMON SPACES, INSITU European platform for artistic creation in public space. Co-funded by the Creative Europe program of the European Union.
2019 – Selection of the Insider work for its production and premiere. Teren Experimental Art Platform, Brno Czech Republic.
2019 – Artistic residence. AND_Lab artistic research center, Lisbon Portugal. 2018 Artistic Resident Metropolis – Københavns Internationale Teater. Copenhagen Specific Site International Theater Festival.
2017 – Selection of the Stereo-presence work for the international tour grant. Czech Ministry of Culture. Prague.
2017 – Artistic residence in video performance. Ausland art center, Berlin.
2016 – Selection of the work Stereo-presence for its production and premiere. Czech Ministry of Culture.
2016 – Artist in residence at the Alfred ve Dvore Theatre for the creation of a play. Prague.
2015 – Scholarship for conferences, presentations and workshops The Stranger Gets a Gift. August Foundation, Prague.
2015 – Artistic residence. Pale Fruits. Machinery of Truth. Greenhouse, Berlin.
2014 – Divadelní Noviny Theater Diary - Nomination for the best production of the year for the stage play Sayat Nova, directed by Cristina Maldonado.Praga.
2014 – Artistic residence. YO-YO Kravín Rural Arts, Hranice u Mal? E, Vysocina.
2014 – Artistic residence Production of work. Divadlo na Cucky, Olomouc ,.
2014 – Artistic residence. AUGUST Foundation. Interdisciplinary Community. Tabor. 2013 Artistic residence Myths. Performing Art Center, Lemesos
2013 – Artistic residence Myths. Performing Art Center, Lemesos
2013 – Artistic residence. Akos. Cultural NGO, Yerevan
2013 – Artistic residence. Atelier Real Artistic Research Center, Lisbon
2013 – Artist in Residence. Alfred Theater sees Dvore. Prague
2011 – Prague Quadrennial of Design and Scenic Space - Study on Fact and Fragility collaboration Alain Kerriou. Work Selected by the Mexican Selection Committee to represent Mexico as part of the most outstanding works created in the last four years. Prague.
2010 – Artistic residence. Meet Factory Gallery. Prague.
2009 – Artistic residence. STANICA Art Center. Slovakia
2004 – Selection of the work Brutality of Fact for its production and presentation. Czech Ministry of Culture, Prague
2004 – Artistic residence. CESTA Art Center. Tabor
- Workshop in the Master Program of Fine Arts, Prague City University, "Offer to offer" From the Gift series. Continuation of research of MA final work.
- PREMIERE - Continuum Presencial. Telematic performance. Coproduction of National University of Mexico UNAM and Teren Czech art platform.
- Premiere - This person does not NOT exist. Telematic performance. In co-production with Teren Czech art platform and the art platform Unseen online platform and web archive.
- Exhibition ReShape for graduation from MFA Prague City University, Pragovka, CZ.
- Studies Anthropology of Art. LATIR: Research, project development, educational programs and publications, with a cross-disciplinary perspective.
- audiovisual performance in the Czech showcase "Mala Inventura", Festival Prague
- VR performance in "Desocupacao", Atelier RE.AL, Lisbon.
- Performance for the Finnish collective "Sabotanic Garden" in Theatre Alfred ve Dvore, Prague
- audiovisual performance "Telekinetic Assault", film live intervention in the Prague Quadrennial, Prague
- audiovisual performance "Telekinetic Assaul", film live intervention in the International Festival Theatre der Dinge, Berlin
- artist talk at "Praha Forum pro architekturu a media", Brno
- VR performance Premier in CED Centre for Experimental Theatre, Brno, VR performance "Insider" in PAF Film and Animation Festival, Olomouc.
- Presentation of performance "Stereopresence" in Czech showcase festival "Mala Inventura", 26 February. Theatre Alfred ve Dvore. CZ
- Live video intervention for the performance "Fantom of Pasi Makela". 23-24 March. Centre for performing arts WTKB. Austria
- Artistic co-direction for "Too Soon Too Late", performative exhibition for the cycle “1918, European Dreams of Modernity – 100 Years On” prepared by the Brussels cultural centre BOZAR for 2018 in association with cultural institutes of Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Romania, and Lithuania. 26-27 May. - Artist residency of one month in Metropolis - Københavns Internationale Teater. June. Conpenhagen, Denmark
- Creation and presentation of site specific performance in collaboration with the University of Fine Arts, Budapest (MKE) for the Site Specific International Festival PLACCC. July. Hungary
- Performance of the interactive piece "Interruptor". National Coordination of Dance, National Institute for Fine Arts. 6-14 September. Mexico
- Performative video installation "The Mirror" in collaboration with DAMU for the Site Specific International Festival PLACCC. 20-22 September. Hungary
- Creation of curatorial concept and artistic coordination of "Phenomenological Recipes" for the International Festival for Contemporary Art Four Days in Motion. 5-13 October. Czech Republic
- Co-direction of the site specific performance "NaMIE…bėga gyvenimas" for the theatre festival NAMAS NR. 1, 26-27 October. Kaunas, Lithuania
- Premiere of the video performance "Telekinetic Assault" in experimental art venue Punctum, 24-25 November, Czech RepublicTour of the Czech-Mexican co-production "Stereopresence." National University of Mexico (UNAM); Faculty of Fine Arts Academy of Queretaro and Conjunto de Artes Escénicas Guadalajara. 3-26 August. Mexico
- 9 presentations of the performance "Stereopresence" in theatre Alfred ve Dvore, Prague and Divadlo 29, Pardubice. Direction and performing
- One week art residency to develop new work in Ausland, Berlin
- Three days residency to develop new work in Divadlo 29, Pardubice
- Concert performance in Ausland, Berlin with collective Blavatsky Society
- Residency and presentation of work in progress of new work in Theatre Alfred ve Dvore, Prague
- Director and mentor of "The mirror" video installation for the international festival 4+4 Days in Motion
- Co-director of performance "Entitled" with DoMA company presented in international festival 4+4 Days in Motion