Introduction to Typeface Design
by admin, on 14 February 2013 17:40:51 CET
Methodology and Objectives
By means of tracing pre-selected letters, participants will experiment with structural elements of lettershapes such as contrast, connections, weight of strokes and curve velocity. They will also learn the basics behind sketching an alphabet. This will be aided by short lessons that will establish essential knowledge units that support the theoretical framework and the concepts behind the exercises. The resulting characters will be openly discussed and corrections and alternatives will be shared among participants.
By the end of this workshop, participants will have basic knowledge and practice of the following subjects:
- Type classification
- Proportions of the latin alphabet
- Texture and color of a block of text
- Contrast and stress
- Optical corrections
- Typographic coherence among letters
- Shape and countershape (relationship between letter-forms and their interior and exterior space)
- Conceptual definition of a digital font
You will need tracing paper, pencils and black markers of various sizes.
Blanicka entrance, room 001